Counter Thingy that Counts Crap

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Dag

I got mayonnaise on my keyboard.


While that may sound like a euphemism, it's really not.


In other news, Ellen's parents had to put Murphy (the dog) down the other day. I guess it had a cyst/lump on it's back that had wound up being cancer... They knew about it for a while, but didn't tell any of the kids. Eventually it caught up to her, so they decided to put her out of her misery I guess Wednesday. Ellen was kinda sad about it since Murph was her birthday present like 13 years ago.


In other dog related news, electric fence training is going really well with Boris still. We started on perimeter training last night, where I walk around outside the area with him untied, and chuck treats at him for not coming towards me. He wandered off into an area by the deck that has a really fucked up boundry, and the collar beeped at him, and he made a b-line for the back door, so he definitely knows what's up and doesn't wanna get shocked, so that's good.

I feel like we probably should have started with the non-deadly collar first (the 6v one that runs on button batteries instead of the big vibrating/beeping beast that runs on a 9V and i'm afraid to test on myself), just because of how much the 9V one obviously hurts. But the smaller one has a different range, so I'm kinda hesitant to fuck up the boundry he's already learned, also, if he didn't respond to that shock, it'd kinda defeat most of the training.

Luckily, he's not retarded, and is scared shitless of the big collar shocking him, so I don't think its gonna be an issue. He kinda gets in "the zone" anyway when he's in chase, and I think the big fucker might be a necessary evil to keep him in check. We'll start distraction training this weekend, should be interesting. I need to find some squirrels. They've oddly all scattered since we started training...dunno if they can hear the fence or what.

2 comments:

Soniya said...

I've heard that the fences can keep animals out too, like rabbits and squirrels and cats and the like. Dunno why, maybe they can sense evil.

And you GOTTA try to collar on yourself. If it's meant for a 50-100 lb dog, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt much on a human. Only one way to find out...

JK said...

I tried the 6V one on myself, it sucked. :) That's why I'm not going to try the 9V one.

The fence is just radio waves of some sort (now I wanna look it up), i just wonder if the frequency drives critters nuts or what, because we normally have a whole fuckin boatload of rabbits and squrrels and moles running around.